For the next few days my goals are baking delicious and the must christmassy cakes ever. May not be realy pretty, but what matters is join the family around and cook them with lots of love.
This recipe is from Tanya Burr, she is a british blogger and youtuber. One of the thing I must love in this recipe is that she show you, when baking there is not a perfect way only the one full of love and sharing. Also it looks like we can bake it and do it exactly like her.
Ingredients for the cake:
- 150ml full fat milk
- 3tbsp black treacle
- 225ml vegetable oil
- 375g plain flour
- 3tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 375g light brown soft sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp of ginger
- 3 tbsp milk
- 300 ml buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanila extract
- Measure the milk and the treacle in a saucepan. Bring to simmer and stir until combined. Set aside to cool down.
- Grease 3 cake tins and pre-heat the oven to 180º C
- Put the flour, baking powder, bicarb, sugar and spices in a large bowl then add a pinch of salt and mix together.
- In a jug, whisk the oil, buttermilk, additional milk, eggs and vanilla together. Add to the dry ingredients.
- Pour between the tins and bake for 25-30 minutes. Do not open the door for at least 20 minutes.
- When baked, let them cool slightly then transfer to a wire rack to coll down completely.
For the gingerbread cookies:
- 175g dark muscavado sugar
- 85g golden syrup
- 100g slightly slated butter
- 350g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarb
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg, beaten
- Put the sugar, golden syrup and butter in a saucepan. Bring to simmer and let bubble for about 2 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly for 10 minutes.
- Add into a bowl, flour, bicarbonate of soda, spices, the syrup and the edd. Bring everything together, kneading to form a smooth dough.
- Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Heat the oven to 180º C and line to baking trays.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and allow to soften for 20 minutes. Dust the work surface and cut the dough in half so its easy to work with and roll out.
- Cut in to desired shapes like snowflakes, christmas trees, houses, stars, do what ever shapes you want. Cook them for 10-12 minutes. Once cooled use the icing to decorate.
For the icing:
- 250g pack of slightly salted butter, soft
- 600g icing sugar
- 300g full fat cream cheese
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g salted caramel sauce
- glitter, edible snow and others decorations
- For the icing, put the butter and foughly falf the icing sugar in a processor and mix until smooth. Add the rest of the icing sugar, cream cheese, vanilla and salted caramel and mix until smooth.
- Use half of the icing to stack the cakes and cover the entire outside and then refrigerate for 30 minutes, along with the rest of the icing.
- Only 10 minutes before you need the cake, remove the icing and the cake from the fridge. Use the remaining icing to cover the cake using a palette knife.
- Finaly top the cake with decorations and the gingerbread cookies!